Friday, January 15, 2010

Will the oster (sp?) nail grinder kit work on my GSD?

I have been looking at a few of these kits on ebay and I cant tell if they will work for his huge nails the brand I mentioned is available close to me. I looked at a few others one store clamied they are a grooming shop and thier product would work but you just never know. Anyway anyone had any success with a particular grinder on a large breedWill the oster (sp?) nail grinder kit work on my GSD?
I don't know about that oster grinder, but as a professional groomer I know that the dremel is amazing...You can get a dremel from your local lowes or home depot. Even though the dremel is small power tool it is no different than the oster grinders except the cost to replace the heads on the dremel is much less expensive.





I bought one with many different speed settings and use it on dogs ranging from teeny tine yorkies to big newfoundlands. I have noticed that most dogs prefer the dremel over clipping because it doesn't create uncomfortable pressure.





You need to make sure you know how to properly grind a nail before using one, you can damage the nail and hurt the dog if you use too high of a speed.Will the oster (sp?) nail grinder kit work on my GSD?
It should. :]
Most dogs are really touchy about their feet. The grinder makes a loud noise %26amp; the vibration on the toes nails may be more than your dog can handle. It is worth the try if you wish to but I don't like using the grinders, I would much rather use a good sturdy nail clipper made for big dogs.





The best way to clip nails is by viewing them with the foot up-side-down. You can see the tip of the nail that needs to be clipped. Clip just up to where the quick is %26amp; not any further. If you do cut into the quick have flour, baby powder, corn starch or talc to stop the bleeding. This can be washed off when the nail stops bleeding. It is best to avoid cutting that deep cause it will cause your dog not to cooperate in the future, associating the cutting of the nails with the last painful clipping.





If a dogs nails aren't worn down by themselves it is because the dog hasn't had a chance to wear them down on hard ground, cement, asfault or in general walking. Or the angle is wrong in the hips or the shoulders %26amp; cause your dog to pad instead of walking on his toes like normal, preventing his nails from proper wear..
Yes this will work on your GSD nails.


You may have to train the dog to the noise and feel of the tools while running but it is a good quality tool that will hold up well to use on large dogs nails.
Yep, I've used it on my Basset Hounds and they have HUGE nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment